Tuesday 31 May 2011

Trail Tech - Wheel Spacers


We were running this trail near Minden Ontario two weekends ago and the conditions were really slick.  All the rain we had been getting over the last few weeks made for lots of mud and reduced visibility as to what might be on the trail.  Sure enough we come to this one muddy patch that ended with a small ledge about a foot high.  The first jeep in our group, which was a lifted LJ made it through no problem.  The next jeep, a two door jk on 35’s proceeded to tackle the messy thick mud stretch and almost made it.  The jeep got right to the ledge and then it happened.  The side wall punctured.  We look and look to try and find what caused the puncture but with all the thick mud it was impossible to determine the culprit. 

Jeep JK Stuck in the mud in Minden Ontario

After making it over the ledge we spent a few moments changing the tire before coming to the realization that all the other jeeps in our group where tj with 4.5 bolt pattern while the jk’s use a 5.5 bolt pattern. Taking the safe approach we decided to turn around and head out of the trail and not risk another puncture since we didn’t have a compatible spare within our group. 

My 2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon getting ready to tackle the mud in Minden Ontario

This situation made me realize how easily this problem could have been avoided.  I am now keeping my eye out for a used wheel spacer adaptor to convert the tj’s 4.5” bolt pattern to the new JK’s 5.5 and vice versa.  I figure that many of the people I am wheeling with are now moving towards the newer jeeps, it would be nice to have the peace of mind and ability to switch in a JK spare tire if this unfortunate situation occurs again in the future, and I am sure it will.  I just don’t want to be the one asking the group to turn back when I get a flat.

Jeep JK wheeling the mud in Minden Ontario

In the end it was another great day on the trail with no serious issues, and I am looking forward to the next opportunity to wheel with such a great group of people.


1 comment:

  1. Man, that is a great idea....I don't know why I never thought of that. I will have to do that with my CJ since it is rare that anyone else has the 5x5 bolt pattern. Now to find someone out there trying to sell just one spacer:)

    ReplyDelete