Thursday 26 May 2011

Jeep Roll Bar Fire Extinguisher Mount


That’s right.  The title of the post says it all.  After one of my first offroading experiences I realized that I needed some pretty standard safety equipment just as an insurance policy.  After coming up with a list of items that I felt I needed I came across the problem of where to store some of them?  I had seen people do this before where they purchase a mount that would securely hold their fire extinguisher to the roll bar.  Of course I quickly pulled out my laptop and started searching for brackets and decided that my budget was too small to purchase one.  So here is where my creativity kicked in.

When you buy a fire extinguisher they usually come with a plastic mount that can be used to secure the extinguisher to a wall.  With a few cheap pieces of hardware and about 30 minutes of your time you can modify the existing mount for your Jeep roll bar.

To start you are going to need 2 hose clamps that are large enough to go around your roll bar.  I am not 100% sure but I think I used a 4” hose clamp.  You will also need two small bolts that would be able to go through the existing holes in the plastic extinguisher mount and 2 nuts that would fit the bolts.  It is important that the bolts are just a bit longer then the depth of the hole on the plastic mount.

JeepGeek getting stuck at TrailFest 2010

Once you have all the parts it is as simple as turning on a light switch to make your new mount.  Take the two hose clams and place the plastic mount on top of them.  It is important to remember that when you tighten the clamps the extra metal will need space to move, so make sure you don’t position the mount in a way that would prevent you from tightening the clamps. 

When you have found the right place on the hose clamps to mount your plastic bracket, take a pair of wire cutters and cut out two or three of the teeth in the hose clamp in the center of the space you want to position the mount.  Then take your bolts and push them through the plastic mount and then through the hose clamp and secure them in place with the nut.  That’s all it takes.

Fire Extinguisher mounted on rear roll bar of 2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon
Now remember I said to make sure the bolts are just long enough to clear the depth of the mount holes?  The reason for this is so when you tighten the hose clamps around your roll bar you will not puncture the fabric roll bar padding.  Now all you have to do is find a good space on your roll bar to secure your new mounts.

 JeepGeeks fire extinguisher mounted between sound bar on Jeep TJ Rubicon  roll bar

I first secured mine to the rear driver side part of the roll bar just below the rear seatbelt mount.  It was nicely located for easy reach on the trail and was right by the gas filler cap.  Since I first installed it I have added a few more homemade mounts to my roll bar and have relocated it to right between the two sound bars over head.  This keeps the extinguisher dry when I have my bikini top on and also allowed me to free up the rear roll bars for a hi lift mount.  I will be posting my hi lift mount instructions in the near future.  So make sure you keep checking back for updates.  

1 comment:

  1. Choosing the right type of fire extinguisher can be a confusing task because of the many fire extinguisher types available. You should be very mindful when you choose a fire extinguisher because each type is intended to put out a fire caused by different materials.

    Las Vegas Fire Extinguishers Sales & Service

    ReplyDelete